The meeting opened in public session at 4:05pm. The Vice Chair, Dr Joanne Stuart OBE chaired the meeting until the Chair arrived at 4:13pm.
Judith Cochrane MLA Chair
Leslie Cree MBE MLA
Phil Flanagan MLA
Alban Maginness MLA
Robin Newton MLA
Michael Bell NI Food & Drink Association
Chris Brown MCE PR
Alan Dickson PricewaterhouseCoopers
John Rooney Rooney Fish
John Stewart Director of Information and Outreach
Dr Joanne Stuart OBE Attrus Ltd., Vice Chair
Susie Brown Secretary
Ivor Gibson Co-ordinator
Richard Stewart Treasurer
Claire Sugden MLA
James Haughey Norbrook Laboratories
John O’Farrell ICTU
Stephen Kelly Manufacturing NI
Apologies are noted above.
- Declaration of Interests:
- Chris Brown declared an interest in Dalradian as Dalradian is a client of MCE PR and they have applied for membership.
- Phil Flanagan MLA declared an interest in Ulster University as he is currently studying at the University. Ulster University have also applied for membership.
- Adoption of previous minutes:
Agreed: The Minutes of the Board meetings held on 19th January 2015 were agreed by the Board.
- Matters arising:
The Chair advised the Board that:
- The majority of matters arising from the agenda at the previous meeting had formed the basis for the agenda items for this meeting.
- The Chair noted that the Secretary had written to Stratagem and CIM in relation to correspondence received from them.
- The “event topic sub group” met immediately prior to this Board meeting to discuss potential events and will report to the Board at the next meeting.
- Financial Update:
- The Chair referred the Board to a copy of the latest figures in relation to 2014/2015 NIABT Income/ Expenditure.
Agreed: The Board agreed the content of the financial update.
- Past and Upcoming Events
- The Chair referred the Board to a list of past and future Business Trust events.
4:13pm Judith Cochrane MLA arrived and took the Chair.
Agreed: The board agreed that the secretariat should follow with regards confirmation of the guest speaker at the President’s Dinner.
The Board also recommended that the secretariat consider 2016 election dates prior to arranging a Dublin educational programme in early 2016.
- Washington Programme:
- The Board discussed the draft programme.
- The Treasurer confirmed that sufficient budget was in place to cover costs associated with the programme.
- 2015 President’s Dinner:
- The Chair advised the Board that a letter had been issued to Ambassador Matthew W. Barzun, Ambassador of the United States of America to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland to speak at the President’s Dinner but no firm reply had been received.
Agreed: The secretariat will follow up on this matter with a level of urgency by 13th March 2015. An alternative speaker will be considered if necessary.
- Associate membership:
- The Board discussed a paper on Associate membership.
Agreed: The Board agreed on the further 50% reduction on fees for associate membership and the suggested restrictions.
The Board also agreed to include all external programmes attracting subsidy including IPEPs on paragraph 13 of paper.
- The Chair referred the Board to a list of applications from local organisations to join the Trust and asked the members if they were happy to approve these applications.
Agreed: The Board agreed to approve all applications.
The Board also agreed to include a deferment period of three months for any new member wishing to avail of travel subsidy for IPEPs or other external trips attracting a subsidy.
Two members were removed due to non- payment of fees.
- Trustee rotation:
- The Board discussed the content of the Trustee rotation paper. The Chair thanked John Rooney and James Haughey for all their work on the Board as their period as Trustees will end at the AGM on 15th June 2015.
- Dr Joanne Stuart OBE indicated that she will also step down from the Board at the 2015 AGM in June.
- The Board discussed the consideration of all 6 MLA Trustees rotating the Chair on an annual basis.
Agreed: The secretariat will provide a paper on the suggested Chair rotation for the next Board meeting.
- Any Other Business:
Date of Next Meeting
- The Chair confirmed that the next meeting would be held on Monday 11th May at 4:00pm in the Senate Chamber.
The meeting was adjourned at 4:59pm.
Mrs Judith Cochrane MLA
Chair, Northern Ireland Assembly and Business Trust
11th May 2015